Successful PartnershipsSUPPORTING COMMUNITIES
Delaware Libraries and Pandemic Pivots!
Submitted by Dr. Annie Norman, State Librarian of Delaware
Delaware Libraries are pivoting and expanding services throughout the pandemic! Get the latest updates at delawarelibraries.org and by calling your local public library.
- Do you have a Delaware library card? They’re free, and now you can get a library card online! Register little ones for My First Delaware Library Card, and Super Cards are available for children ages 6 to 12, because every child can be a superhero!
- How many books have you read so far in 2020? Delaware Libraries have millions of books for your families’ reading pleasure! Access eBooks online through the Overdrive and hoopla collections. Schedule Curbside Check Out for your choice print titles and/or librarian-selected book bundles for each member of your family!
- Need internet access? Free wireless is available in library parking lots and outside spaces.
- Library programs have moved online! Children can attend virtual storytimes, and programs on all topics are available for all ages.
- Delaware Libraries are proud to announce Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is now statewide! Imagination Library is a program of First Lady Tracey Quillen Carney’s First Chance initiative and is the public libraries’ newest contribution in support of Early Literacy for preschoolers. All Delaware children from birth up to their 5th birthday are eligible; each child receives a book in the mail every month, a total of 60 books before Kindergarten. Registration is available at delawarelibraries.org/imagination!
As librarians, we love that the Imagination Library rekindles the novelty and magic of reading, each month for 5 years! Families can expand the novelty and reading magic through library books, checking out dozens more each month to develop the reading and library habit.
Thank you for your partnership in support of literacy for all Delawareans! Let’s model the behavior of the reading and library habit, and spread the joyful message that reading and libraries are for everyone!
We all know — kids who read, succeed, throughout life! Everyone who reads succeeds!