Dear Sussex County Health Coalition Partner
On behalf of Sussex County Health Coalition’s Board of Directors, Executive Director and Staff we wanted to share our plans regarding the growing concerns with regard to the Coronavirus, and the recent State of Emergency issued by our Governor on March 12th. One key point we took from Governor Carney's emergency declaration was his recommendation to cancel non-essential public gatherings of 100 people or more, to prevent community spread of the coronavirus.
As a Health Coalition, our first priority is always the safety and health of our partners and our community. Our leadership team has been closely monitoring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization statements regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19). Many of us have already been impacted by meeting cancellations, college closures, and more. At SCHC, we are doing our best to prepare for potential impacts to our work as quickly and effectively as we can but recognize that there are many unknowns. Our immediate priority is keeping our staff, partners and community healthy and safe!
The COVID-19 virus has required all of us to be more thoughtful as we go through our daily activities. It is highly suggested that all partners and community members follow the CDC recommendations for everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases and we encourage you to do the same.
CURRENT RECCOMMENDATIONS INCLUDE:
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- If you are sick, STAY HOME!!!
We are considering the CDC and the Delaware Division of Public Health to be the experts on the virus and our response to it.
Their websites are here:
- CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
- DPH: https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/epi/2019novelcoronavirus.html
Please refer to them for detailed information and guidance
If you are travelling for business or pleasure, please be sure to follow all guidance from the CDC on how to prepare and what you should do upon your return:
We recognize that the situation creates high levels of anxiety. We know everyone is worried about potential infection of themselves and loved ones. Please take care of yourselves and take care of each other. We want to help, let us know what you need!!
We are doing our best to continue business as usual but would like to try to mitigate risk as best we can. If you have a concern or are impacted in a way we can assist with: Communication, Technical Assistance or Community Support, we are here and stand ready to provide leadership and help for you or your organization.